Grandy's Company, Virginia Light Artillery
'Norfolk Artillery Blues'
The Norfolk Light Artillery Blues were formed in 1828 as a state militia unit by the citizens of Norfolk, Virginia.
At the start of the war, the Blues served as a Coastal Artillery Battery in the defense of Norfolk. For a brief time they were stationed at Sewell's Point, and on May 8, 1862 traded fire with the ironclad U.S.S. Monitor for approximately 3 hours.
After the fall of Norfolk they returned to Field Artillery duty. Also known as “Grandy’s Battery” they became part of Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Their first battle under Lee’s command was at Fredericksburg in December 1862. The Blues continued their service and in the succeeding months and years took part in nearly every battle with the Army of Northern Virginia. Including Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor and Petersburg.
When the Union Army's Sixth Corps broke through the depleted Confederate lines at Petersburg, it was just to the right of the Blues’ position. Being overrun, and losing all of their equipment, the surviving members joined Lee’s retreat to Appomattox Court House, where only 28 men surrendered, most in the ranks of other Artillery Units.
The Blues legacy continues to this day. The unit is now known as the 1st Battalion, 111th Field Artillery, attached to the 29th Infantry Division in the Virginia National Guard. Their headquarters is still located in Norfolk.
PVT Melanie Cooper